Four polarizers are placed in succession with their axes vertical, at $30.0 ^\circ$ to the vertical, at $60.0 ^\circ$ to the vertical, and at $90.0 ^\circ$ to the vertical.
- Calculate what fraction of the incident unpolarized light is transmitted by the four polarizers.
- Can the transmitted light be decreased by removing one of the polarizers? If so, which one?
- Can the transmitted light intensity be extinguished by removing polarizers? If so, which one(s)?
Source: Giancoli, Douglas C., Physics: Principles with Applications, 7th Edition, 2014.
- remove the 2nd or 3rd polarizer
- remove both the 2nd and 3rd polarizer, resulting in two crossed polarizers